The best additional chest exercise is the lying dumbbell lift, or, to put it right, the dumbbell lift. Due to the different angles of inclination of the bench, this exercise can pump all parts of the pectoral muscles.
Muscle work and the place of exercise in training
Dumbbell Lying on a bench is one of the most popular assisted chest exercises.
Muscle work while doing it looks like this:
- The target muscle group is the pectoralis major or pectoralis major muscles. They account for the lion’s share of the load.
- Deltoids (front and middle beams) work as assistants.
- Biceps, triceps and forearm muscles help to keep the arms with dumbbells in a fixed, slightly bent position.
- The muscles of the abdomen, legs and buttocks stabilize the body.
Properly placed technique allows you to simultaneously load the chest and stretch it in the negative phase of the exercise.
Typically, the dumbbell set on the bench follows immediately after the bench press, sometimes there are several sets at different angles. The most commonly used inclines are 30 and 45 degrees, as with the incline bench press. It makes no sense to start your workout with a wiring, even if you have an easy program that day. But to finish – sometimes you even need to.
The inclusion of streaks in the training program is also recommended for girls who want to strengthen their breasts without pumping up voluminous pectoral muscles.
Select weight and execution option
Experienced bodybuilders know perfectly well how to choose the right weight and at what angle to perform hand raising with dumbbells. Therefore, this moment is dedicated to beginners and those who are still poorly oriented in the gym.
Like any exercise with weights, wiring requires a warm-up approach in the amount of 10-15 repetitions. At the same time, you need to maintain enough strength to complete all working approaches. Therefore, the weight for warm-up should be minimal – men should take from 5-7 kg, women – 2-3. It should be easy for the muscles.
Next, when you have stretched, you need to take the weight with which you can perform 10-15 repetitions. Experiment, if you run out of strength 10 times – immediately take 1–2 kg less weight. Do not try to work to failure in the first months of training – you can stretch your muscles and greatly ruin your technique. Ideally, the last 2-3 repetitions should be obtained with special difficulty.
Now let’s talk about the features of the program: if you are gaining weight, do 3-4 sets of 8 repetitions. If dry, 15 repetitions. We recommend that girls do 3 sets of 15 times with medium weights to strengthen their breasts. If you, dear ladies, are chasing the mass – 3-4 sets of 8 repetitions with weights close to the maximum.
How to choose the angle of inclination – be guided by the circumstances. Just remember what angle is swinging, and be guided by that.
- If the bench is horizontal, you emphasize the load on the middle part of the pectoral muscles.
- When the head is higher than the legs – more the upper chest is working.
- The head end of the bench is lowered down – you are working on the lower pectoral area.
Most often, first there is a breeding of hands with dumbbells on a horizontal bench, then breeding of dumbbells while lying on an incline bench. If you want to make 3 layouts at different angles in one day, reduce the number of approaches from 4 to 3, or even to two. Do not forget, dumbbell reproduction on an incline bench also requires a warm-up approach.
Despite the fact that this exercise looks rather simple, the technique should be taken as seriously as possible. This approach will save you from injury and make your workout as effective as possible.
Breeding on a horizontal bench
Let’s first consider raising hands with dumbbells on a horizontal bench (also known as reclining dumbbells).
If the bench is incline, align it horizontally with the floor. Prepare the necessary dumbbells in advance, immediately take a warm-up weight and a working one. Let them stand near a bench on the floor. During one of the breaks, you can return the warm-up weights back to the dumbbell rack.
- Take the dumbbells in your hands and sit on the edge of the bench.
- Lie on the bench with your head did not hang from her. The back of the head should touch the bench. It is best to place your own personal towel under your head and back. Spread your legs wide to provide good stability. The benches touch the scapula, back, pelvis, nape. The lower back is in a natural position, without excessive bends and rounds, the chest is straightened, looking at the ceiling.
- Lift the dumbbells in front of you at an angle of 90 degrees to the floor. The arms are extended so that the palms are facing each other (this is the classic version). Bend them slightly at the elbow and freeze them in this position – it is necessary that the angle of flexion of the elbows does not change during the exercise.
- As you inhale, begin to spread the dumbbells to the sides so that your elbows are pointing down. If the elbows are twisted in some other way, you are doing the exercise incorrectly. The movement occurs only in the shoulder joint, a small angle in the elbow is fixed.
- When you feel that the chest muscles are already beginning to stretch, lower your arms a little further, but, of course, not to painful sensations.
- As you exhale, bring your hands back together, almost touching each other with dumbbells. You should feel something like hugging a large tree.
Repeat the exercise as many times as needed. Then sit down, place the dumbbells at the edge of the bench on the floor and rest for 45-60 seconds. It is advisable to walk during a break between approaches, do swings and shake your hands. This will improve blood circulation in the muscles.
If you want to lay out at an angle, the technique is exactly the same. Most importantly, remember that the elbows should be oriented towards the floor, and the movement should be straight up. We feel weights due to the force of gravity, and its vector is always directed strictly downward. Therefore, if your elbows are not directed downward when performing the spreading at an angle, there will be no sense from the exercise either.
Butterfly or breeding in the simulator
You can perform breeding while sitting in a special simulator – this exercise is called a butterfly. This is an isolated breeding option, with its help you can load the middle part of the pectoral muscle well. It is very convenient in that you do not need to take dumbbells, you do not need to walk and change them if the weights do not suit you. It is enough just to change the load right in the simulator – quickly and conveniently.
Another plus – in the simulator, the exercise is almost always performed in the correct technique, since it is very difficult to do it incorrectly. Butterfly is a simple and pleasant option for working on the chest. But its effectiveness, unfortunately, is somewhat lower in comparison with dumbbells. In addition, this is an imitation of the horizontal version. The setting of dumbbells lying on an incline bench is not imitated in the butterfly trainer.
Errors and their meaning
Of course, no one wants to do the exercise incorrectly on purpose … We are not considering the cheat option. As a rule, violations of technique are a consequence of a misunderstanding of the meaning of the exercise. Let’s take a look at where the most common mistakes come from:
- Your arms bend during breeding. This means that the weight is too heavy, and you compensate for this by reducing the distance from the weight to your body. This is common for beginners.
- Elbows point anywhere but not at the floor. This can injure your shoulders, and the load on the pectoral muscles will not be maximized. You just need to keep an eye on it, otherwise there is no way.
- Often people confuse dumbbell press and set, combining them into one exercise. If you work with triceps and extend your arms when moving up, this is not a wiring. This is where other muscles get involved.
- Do I need to flex in my chest at the lowest possible dilution? To increase the amplitude, you can. If you can do a fixed breast breeding, do it. The main thing is that the shoulder blades do not come off the bench.
- Breeding dumbbells lying on an incline bench requires the correct position of the lower back and back – you do not need to slouch or bend in the lower back, thus trying to connect additional muscles to work and use them to raise weight.
If your goal is to gain mass, then in addition to layouts, do not forget about exercises such as bench press in different versions (it is done first), push-ups from the floor or from the uneven bars. A pullover will also be a good end to your chest workout. It can be done after dilutions.
Whatever your program, always remember that the sequence of movement towards the goal looks like this: working out the technique, and then the progression of the weights. By following this rule, you will achieve truly impressive results.